I'm not sure why some people have a love affair with black. Don't get me wrong black is great, it's a color staple and timeless. But in my opinion, EVERYONE looks better with a little color. So here's the scoop! Today we'll talk about the following:
1. A basic color wheel
2. How you can use a color wheel to mix and match colors
3. Some of my favorite color combos
4. Inspiration outfits
5. Lulu's color tips
A Basic Color Wheel
How a Color Wheel Can Help you Mix & Match Colors in Your Wardrobe:
Using a color wheel can help the color challenged folks in their mixing and matching (see here for more information). Here's how to combine:
1. Colors next to each other - this creates a simple harmonious effect
2. Colors that form a 90 degree angle - to find this, pick a color and skip 2 arms of the wheel (example: violet & red/orange)
3. Colors that are opposite each other - creates a bold look, a little more risk taking. However, it can create cliche color combos (red & green = Christmas... not such a great look in July)
4. 3 Colors that form a "T" - pick 2 colors opposite each other and then find the color in the middle (example: blue + orange + violet-red)
Black, gray, brown and white (or variations: khaki & cream) are considered neutral colors that typically, but not always, go well with any other color. Sometimes it can just be preference also. For instance I am not a fan of blue and black together....
My Favorite Color Combos:
- I love navy! Navy goes with a lot of colors & it's preppy (which I really am at heart). Navy & pink, navy & green, navy & coral
- Gray & plum
- Coral & mint
- Wine & black
Lulu Mix & Match Color Tips:
- Afraid of mixing colors? Try mixing color with neutrals first! It's a little "safer"
- Add color through accessories: a statement necklace, clutch, or scarf
- Buy a shirt or dress that has the colors already mixed for you!
- Want to be daring? Go for it! But I would stick to mixing no more than 3 colors together.
Definitely a preppy look but with some trendy, modern touches (wedges & animal print scarf).
This outfit is simple chic: skinnies, light weight sweater & a sweater "coat". Perfect for a mom on-the-go.
Another "preppy" look. When wearing a bright color, the other colors should be more subdued. Be beautifully bright, not crazy bright.
This outfit to me is beachy and fresh. The colors are soft and the polka dots are so fun.
I'm totally into my white skinny cropped jean. I LOVE them! White jeans and chambray are just a perfect pairing.
I'll be wearing this outfit hosting a party this weekend. You'll see the snaps next week!
Because this dress has both color mixing & pattern I kept the accessories simple.
Stores where I purchased these items: Gap | Old Navy | Nordstrom | Jack Rogers | Boden | Nine West | Francesca's | CWonder
I had a lot of fun putting these outfits together. This is a great way to put together outfits each season. It also helps Dazzed Closet Syndrome (standing in your closet and thinking "I have nothing to wear"). As I was pulling outfits I got more inspired as well. You can pull out one pair of pants and develop 2 or 3 outfits around 1 piece. Have fun with it and good luck!
I hope you enjoyed today's post and got a little inspiration for bringing more color to your wardrobe and life! See more outfit inspiration through my instagram page here. It's Thursday, tomorrow's Friday, and then... the weekend :) Yeah!
Just a few more days to enter the CASH GIVEAWAY CONTEST! Enter here.